Friday, September 27, 2013

Benson Creek Falls Park

In four years of living in Nanaimo, I thought I'd visited most of the local parks. However, looking over the City of Nanaimo's parks and recreation website, I noticed reference to Benson Creek Falls Regional Park. I hadn't been there. What was I waiting for? Although it was cold in March, I headed out. So cold, I might add, that the puddles I encountered on the trails through the park had thin ice layers on them. This is a excellent park to stroll through with one proviso. If walkers stay on the wider paths they'll generally be fine. The problem with this park is that it is criss-crossed by dozens of mountain biking/BMX trails with an odd collection of names. The only trail lacking adequate signage was the one you'd want to stay on to take advantage of the wilderness in the park.

Notice only one railing on this bridge. I suspect due to use by bikers. (2012-03-30)
Notice only one railing on this bridge. I suspect due to use by bikers. (2012-03-30) 

Pristine nature marred by seemingly inexplicable junk (2012-03-30)
Pristine nature marred by seemingly inexplicable junk (2012-03-30) 

Benson Creek (2012-03-30)
Benson Creek (2012-03-30) 

Small stream flowing through the rainforest (2012-03-30)
Small stream flowing through the rainforest (2012-03-30)